Monday, April 18, 2011

Getting Back on the Horse

It has been a while since I have been here to blog. Life just seemed to take over and everything got so busy, blogging was the last thing on my mind. But as I sit here, on this beautiful spring morning I feel like I need to catch up on the comings and goings of this busy family the last few months.

Alex and Collin are doing wonderfully at school, I could not be more proud of them. We have had to spend some more time with Alex working on school work since his teacher has been worried he will not be ready for regular 1st grade next year. It is insane to me how much they expect from Kindergarten these days. I heard one teacher say that Kindergarten is now what 1st grade used to be, and that is just nuts to me. They expect 5 and 6 year olds to memorize dozens of sight words, to be able to read fluently, and be able to do addition and subtraction before they are allowed into 1st grade. I look at Alex and I am impressed by what he is able to do, and yet his teacher is worried. Don't even get me started on the fact that standardized testing starts in 3rd grade! Anyway, off my soapbox. LOL.

Collin is doing fantastic too! I had a meeting with his teacher the other day about his kindergarten readiness and she is not worried at all, he is right on track. Plus, his social skills have come leaps and bounds. He is almost a totally different child at school then he was at the beginning of the year. He has friends now, he talks and is outgoing, and the teachers just love him. And he did wonderfully at his kindergarten registration, completing all the tests and making me very proud.

Mackenzie is doing great too! She is a little character, a princess tomboy. LOL She is so ready for school I think, I will probably see about putting her in a 2 day a week preschool program in the fall, but being an October baby she misses the cut off for the pre-k program by a few weeks.

Everyone is growing up so fast! Yesterday Alex went to his first 'friend' birthday party at a local bowling alley. He had a great time with all his little friends, and with bumpers he scored a 69.

This week is spring break, so hopefully I can think of lots of things to keep everyone busy . :-)

No comments: