Sunday, January 10, 2010

Rediscovering the Library

Ok, so I am a child of the information age. I am 26 and I think mine was the last generation to write papers in elementary school with blue or black ink, cursive, double-spaced on college ruled paper. By high school is was all typed. And today, even my four year old can use the computer. But even so, it still surprised me when low and behold, I rediscovered an old friend, the library!! Imagine it a whole building full of PAPER books, all available to borrow for FREE!! LOL I know I felt stupid that I hadn't even thought of going to the library for probably close to 10 years, but yesterday I made the leap and got myself a library card and took Alex and Collin with me. They loved it!! For our first check out we picked some kids audiobooks to listen to in the car. Last night I couldn't help going on and on about all the cool stuff they offer, and what kind of stuff I could check out. It made me realize, there really is no excuse these days not to read to your kids. I mean come on, it is the simplest thing that can give the most pleasure and really change a child forever. I know I would not be who I am today without books, reading has always been a tremendous part of my life, and even today I feel rather empty if I don't have a good book to read. So go ahead, rediscover the library, for yourself and your kids, they really are amazing places! :-)

2 comments:

Beth said...

Justin has recently rediscovered the library as well and found that he LOVES listening to audio books on his long commute. Our library also happens to be well-stocked with kids' DVDs, which we borrow often. The kids and I have been fans since Alexander was an infant because they also have awesome storytimes and kids' events! And the kids will even just sit for an hour doing the puzzles they have there! So, YAY! I am totally on board the library train!

Beth said...

And now I am laughing at myself because I didn't even mention the PAPER books. of course they have those, too! LOL.